Veridian Credit Union ‘sparks the spirit’ of giving with $34,000 on Giving Tuesday
WATERLOO, Iowa (November 27, 2018): Veridian Credit Union celebrated Giving Tuesday with $34,000 in donations to 12 organizations across Iowa and eastern Nebraska. Employees from every Veridian branch nominated a total of 30 organizations for the credit union’s sixth annual Spark the Spirit giving campaign, then asked for public input on which of the organizations should receive funding. A total of 58,421 votes were collected Nov. 15-25. Organizations with the highest vote total in each of four regions received $5,000. The second- and third-highest received $2,500 and $1,000, respectively.
“Regardless of the voting results, we want Spark the Spirit to remind people of the increased need that many organizations experience over the holidays and inspire more giving,” said Heather Plum, Veridian’s public relations strategist and Spark the Spirit coordinator.
Recipient organizations in each region are:
- Knox Blocks Foundation (6,410 votes) - $5,000
- Cedar Bend Humane Society (5,069 votes) - $2,500
- Parent Share & Support (3,320 votes) - $1,000
- One Less Obstacle (1,550 votes) - $5,000
- Waypoint (959 votes) - $2,500
- Big Brother Big Sisters (642 votes) - $1,000
- AHeinz57 (8,026 votes) - $5,000
- Animal Rescue League of Iowa (6,900 votes) - $2,500
- Gigi’s Playhouse (1,402 votes) - $1,000
Western Iowa & Eastern Nebraska:
- QLI (9,893 votes) - $5,000
- Child Saving Institute (1,756 votes) - $2,500
- Casa for Douglas County (1,560 votes) - $1,000
Veridian Credit Union, founded in 1934 in Waterloo, Iowa, is a not-for-profit financial cooperative owned by its members. The credit union offers a full range of business and consumer financial services and employs more than 800 people throughout 30 branches. For more information, visit veridiancu.org or call (800) 235-3228.