Credit Union Leaders Honored for Service, Commitment and Leadership during Iowa Credit Union Convention
(Coralville, Iowa – September 25, 2018) – Seven credit union leaders were honored during the Iowa Credit Union Convention for their significant contributions to the credit union movement and the financial lives of Iowans.
- Jean Trainor, Retired CEO, Veridian Credit Union, received the Heritage Award for her lifetime achievements showing outstanding service, commitment and leadership in the credit union movement.
- Brent Helin, ICUL Board Chair and CEO of Des Moines Metro Credit Union, received the Heritage Award for his lifetime achievements showing outstanding service, commitment and leadership in the credit union movement.
- Nancy Tekippe, SVP Branch Services, Dupaco Community Credit Union, received the Professional Cooperative Spirit Award in recognition of going beyond the expectations of a credit union leader.
- Gaylen Witzel, Board of Directors, Veridian Credit Union, received recognition of outstanding commitment and leadership through his service on the Veridian Credit Union board since 1976. Witzel received the Volunteer Cooperative Spirit Award.
- Stephen Chapman, Board of Directors, Dupaco Community Credit Union, received recognition of outstanding commitment and leadership through his service on the Dupaco Community Credit Union board since 1988. Chapman received the Volunteer Cooperative Spirit Award.
- Emily Hacker, Branch Manager, Veridian Credit Union, received the Young Professional Award for demonstrating the "people helping people" philosophy and her passion for credit unions through hard work, dedication and success.
- Jessica Schindel, Digital Experience Coordinator, Community 1st Credit Union, received the Young Professional Award for demonstrating the "people helping people" philosophy and her passion for credit unions through hard work, dedication and success.
"The credit union movement and its ‘people helping people’ philosophy is alive and well in Iowa and across the nation,” said Iowa Credit Union League (ICUL) President and CEO Murray Williams. “That message was heard loud and clear during the League’s annual convention and through the impressive work of this year’s very deserving award recipients.”
Nearly 600 credit union leaders, exhibitors, speakers and guests gathered in Coralville, Iowa on September 19-21 for the 88th Iowa Credit Union Convention. This year’s Convention highlighted the success of Iowa credit unions this year, especially paying tribute to the advocacy efforts last winter that fought off a challenge to credit union taxation. Attendees celebrated the successful campaign to protect financial choice, as well as the many good deeds done by credit unions this past year in contributing to the financial well-being of their members and communities.
Katie Averill, Superintendent of Iowa Division of Credit Unions, administered the oath of office for the 2018-2019 ICUL Board of Directors. Helen Pearce of Cedar Falls Community Credit Union and Dale Owen, Ascentra Credit Union, will serve as Chair and Vice Chair respectively. Directors include Dave Cale, Financial Plus Credit Union; Tim Chapman, Members Community Credit Union; Matthew Dodds, Dupaco Community Credit Union; Brent Helin, Des Moines Metro Credit Union; Brad Mertens, Metco Credit Union; Mark Peters, Employees Credit Union; Dennis Siemers, Town and Country Credit Union; Jami Weems, Serve Credit Union; and Scott Zahnle, Greater Iowa Credit Union.
The following keynote speakers took the Coralville Marriott Hotel and Conference Center stage during this year’s event:
- Karen McCullough, a branding expert, social media enthusiast and millennial evangelist, spoke to attendees about motivating people to embrace and thrive with change.
- Iowa Innovation Group participants, Filene Research Institute and a panel of industry experts shared Filene’s method of innovation, their experiences and work completed.
- Eric Boles, a former NFL athlete turned executive coach and author, inspired attendees to reach for their best.
A total of 18 breakout sessions provided attendees a wide range of educational topics, including diversity and inclusion, millennial engagement and regulatory issues.
About the Iowa Credit Union League
The Iowa Credit Union League is the trade association that represents the interests of Iowa credit unions and their more than one million members. Credit unions are not-for-profit, financial cooperatives owned and operated by their members. Iowans use their credit union membership to receive higher interest rates on savings and lower interest rates on loans. For more information on ICUL, visit http://www.iowacreditunions.com. Follow ICUL on Twitter at www.twitter.com/icul or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/iowacreditunions.
Photo: ICUL Board
Front Row, left to right: Jami Weems, CEO, Serve Credit Union; Jim Niederhauser, COO, Iowa Credit Union League; Helen Pearce, CEO, Cedar Falls Community Credit Union; Murray Williams, CEO, Iowa Credit Union League
Back row, left to right: Matt Dodds, COO, Dupaco Community Credit Union; Dale Owen, CEO, Ascentra Credit Union; Scott Zahnle, CEO, Greater Iowa Credit Union; Mark Peters, CEO, Employees Credit Union; Brent Helin, CEO, Des Moines Metro Credit Union; Dave Cale, CEO, Financial Plus Credit Union; Denny Siemers, CEO, Town and Country Credit Union; Tim Chapman, CEO, Members Community Credit Union; and Brad Mertens, CEO, Metco Credit Union.