Credit Union Leaders Honored for Service, Commitment and Leadership during Iowa Credit Union Convention
(Des Moines, Iowa – October 10, 2019) – Five credit union leaders were honored during the Iowa Credit Union Convention for their significant contributions to the credit union movement and the financial lives of Iowans.
- August Lanning, Board of Directors, Fort Dodge Family Credit Union, received the Heritage Award for his lifetime achievements showing outstanding service, commitment and leadership in the credit union movement.
- Tim Chapman, CEO, Members Community Credit Union, received the Professional Cooperative Spirit Award in recognition of going beyond the expectations of a credit union leader.
- Kelly Hindman, Board of Directors, Citizens Community Credit Union, received the Volunteer Cooperative Spirit Award in recognition of outstanding commitment and leadership through his service on the Citizens Community Credit Union board.
- Kasey Vogel, Strategic Partnership Director, Community Choice Credit Union, received the Young Professional Award for demonstrating the "people helping people" philosophy and her passion for connecting credit unions and philanthropy.
- Tammy Wood, Member Engagement Supervisor, Dupaco Community Credit Union, received the Young Professional Award for her passion for the credit union movement as displayed through her advocacy efforts and leadership.
“The credit union movement and its ‘people helping people’ philosophy is alive and well in Iowa and across the nation,” said Iowa Credit Union League (ICUL) President and CEO Murray Williams. “That message was heard loud and clear during the League’s annual convention and through the impressive work of this year’s very deserving award recipients.”
More than 650 credit union leaders, exhibitors, speakers and guests gathered in Des Moines, Iowa on September 18-20 for the 89th Iowa Credit Union Convention. This year’s Convention highlighted the stories of Iowa credit unions this past year, especially paying tribute to their work outside of the credit unions and in the communities they serve.
Katie Averill, Superintendent of Iowa Division of Credit Unions, administered the oath of office for the 2019-2020 ICUL Board of Directors. Helen Pearce of Cedar Falls Community Credit Union and Dale Owen, Ascentra Credit Union, will serve as Chair and Vice Chair respectively. Directors include Dave Cale, Financial Plus Credit Union; Matthew Dodds, Dupaco Community Credit Union; Jeff Hayes, North Star Community Credit Union; Brad Mertens, Metco Credit Union; Mike Moroney, Alliant Credit Union; Mark Peters, Employees Credit Union; Julie Pingel, Fort Dodge Family Credit Union; Jami Weems, Serve Credit Union; and Scott Zahnle, Greater Iowa Credit Union.
The following keynote speakers took the Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center stage during this year’s event:
- Melanie Spring, a speaker, trainer and brand facilitator, spoke about how to effectively tell a brand story and what makes great brands work.
- Iowa Innovation Group participants and Filene Research Institute Filene’s method of innovation, their experiences and work completed.
- Kevin Brown, a speaker and author, spoke to credit unions about overcoming adversity and creating the best possible outcomes to achieve your best results.
Additionally, attendees were addressed by two members of the Iowa legislature –House Majority Leader Chris Hagenow and House Minority Leader Todd Prichard.
A total of 30 breakout sessions provided attendees a wide range of educational topics, including diversity and inclusion, cybersecurity, digital marketing and regulatory issues.
About the Iowa Credit Union League
The Iowa Credit Union League is the trade association that represents the interests of Iowa credit unions and their more than one million members. Credit unions are not-for-profit, financial cooperatives owned and operated by their members. Iowans use their credit union membership to receive higher interest rates on savings and lower interest rates on loans. For more information on ICUL, visit http://www.iowacreditunions.com. Follow ICUL on Twitter at www.twitter.com/icul or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/iowacreditunions.
Photo: ICUL Board
Front Row, left to right: Jeff Hayes, CEO, North Star Community Credit Union; Jami Weems, CEO, Serve Credit Union; Julie Pingel, CEO, Fort Dodge Family Credit Union; Helen Pearce, CEO, Cedar Falls Community Credit Union; Mark Peters, CEO, Employees Credit Union; Matt Dodds, COO, Dupaco Community Credit Union
Back row, left to right: Dave Cale, CEO, Financial Plus Credit Union; Mike Moroney, CEO, Alliant Credit Union; Scott Zahnle, CEO, Greater Iowa Credit Union; Murray Williams, CEO, Iowa Credit Union League; Brad Mertens, CEO, Metco Credit Union; Dale Owen, CEO, Ascentra Credit Union; Jim Niederhauser, COO, Iowa Credit Union League