Iowa Credit Union Foundation Awards $11,500 to Scholarship Winners
Des Moines, Iowa – The Iowa Credit Union Foundation (ICUF) recently awarded scholarships to four high school students and two post-high school students as recipients of its Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship. Additionally, thanks to increased charitable support from Iowa credit unions, ICUF doubled the scholarship awards for 2018. A total of $11,500 was awarded.
This year's post-high school recipients are:
- $2,000 to Maria Bascom, a member of DuTrac Community Credit Union who currently attends the University of Iowa
- $2,000 to Catherine Fiala, a member of Community 1st Credit Union who currently attends the University of Iowa
This year's four high school senior recipients are:
- $3,000 to Gavin Sullivan, a member of Serve Credit Union and a graduating senior at Johnston High School, Johnston, IA
- $2,000 to Anne Steffes, a member of Dupaco Community Credit Union and a graduating senior at Kuemper Catholic High School, Carroll, IA
- $1,500 to Brendan Hird, a member of IH Mississippi Valley Credit Union and a graduating senior at Alleman High School, Rock Island, IL
- $1,000 to Alyssa Harris, a member of Linn Area Credit Union and a graduating senior at George Washington High School, Cedar Rapids, IA
Applicants completed an online entry form and answered an essay question. This year’s question was:
Credit unions are not-for-profit, financial institutions that utilize the cooperative model. The “people helping people” philosophy is the guiding principle to serve their member’s financial needs. Please explain what a cooperative is and why the “people helping people” philosophy is important. How does your membership in a credit union support your financial future?
“The mission of the Iowa Credit Union Foundation (ICUF) is to empower people and communities to achieve financial well-being by championing the credit union philosophy of people helping people,” said Jaimie Miller, Executive Director, ICUF. “We do this through critical programs such as the Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship. This year’s scholarship finalists demonstrated a strong passion for their credit union and outstanding knowledge on the essay topics.”
About the Iowa Credit Union Foundation
Founded in 1995 as the philanthropic arm of the Iowa Credit Union League, the Iowa Credit Union Foundation's (ICUF) primary focus is the championing the financial well-being of Iowans through credit unions. ICUF seeks to carry out its mission to empower people and communities to achieve financial well-being by championing the credit union philosophy of people helping people, through its various programs, grants and scholarships. For more information, visit www.IowaCreditUnionFoundation.org.
# # #