R.I.A. Federal Credit Union is currently looking for an experienced Mortgage Underwriter to join a growing mortgage department. This position has the ability to be fully remote or work at our Corporate Office in Bettendorf, IA. The Mortgage Underwriter will collaborate and interact with the Sales Team, Mortgage Processors, and Closers. The Mortgage Underwriter will be responsible for underwriting Conventional, Construction, and Investment files to investor and R.I.A. Federal Credit Union Guidelines.
- Review and assess mortgage applications to verify credit worthiness of borrower(s)
- Analyze mortgage loan documents and application to determine the conditions of applicant approval and what other documents are needed.
- Review documents such as credit report, appraisal, title, income verification, etc. to ensure that the loan will meet investor and Credit Union standards and guidelines
- Accurately calculate borrower’s ability to repay through qualifying ratios (Debt-to-Income, Loan to Value, etc.).
- Perform verification of income calculations with multiple types of incomes including but not limited to: hourly, salary, retirement, self-employed, social security
- Review collateral assessments through internal appraisal reviews to determine if property is sufficient collateral
- Have a working understanding of Federal Home Loan Bank, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac mortgage guidelines in order to apply guideline requirements to loan applications.
- Familiar with working with AUS
- Knowledge of current government lending regulations
- Business Acumen
- Financial Acumen
- Ability to problem solve
- Can learn and evolve
- Ethical Practice
- Trustworthy/listens well
- Attention to detail and solid organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; comfortable making presentations
- Takes initiative; problem solves
- Relates well to employees at all levels; relationship-builder
No supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to spend considerable time sitting at a desk, completing work using a computer, regularly answers phone calls and interacts with employees at all levels of the organization. The employee will occasionally lift and move up to 10 pounds.
Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. While normal hours of work and days for R.I.A. Federal Credit Union are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., hours for this position reflect administrative attendance, but may vary based on job related requirements.
No travel is expected for this position other than some local travel in the Quad City area.
Required Education and Experience
- Associate Degree from two-year accredited college (or equivalent)(required)
- Bachelors Degree (Plus)
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in Mortgage Underwriting (Required)
R.I.A. Federal Credit Union believes in equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. Our company’s success depends on the effective utilization of qualified individuals regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, disability, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. We will not discriminate on the basis of these characteristics in a personnel action including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotions, transfers, demotions, benefits, compensation, discipline, termination and any other conditions or privileges of employment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time to adjust and adapt to the changing needs of the business.