Linn Area Credit Union ($500M, Cedar Rapids, Iowa) is seeking a dynamic, strategic, and experienced Credit Union executive to serve as our President and CEO. This individual will guide the Credit Union and our team of over 100 employees to new growth and opportunities through strategic leadership and effective collaboration with the volunteer Board of Directors.
In short: It's a fantastic place to work!
In long: We seek top-notch people who will serve our members the best way possible, each and every day. Our employees create the lighthearted, caring, family environment that we are known for.
Founded in 1935, Linn Area Credit Union is a not-for-profit, full-service financial organization with 5 branches in Cedar Rapids and Marion, Iowa. We are very much a local organization; our employees are your neighbors and our kids go to the same school. "We Are Family" is not just a tagline, it's how we operate. We employ a positive, can-do workforce who enjoys coming to work and sharing their positive energy with those who call, click, and come through our doors. We work hard, we play hard, and our number one priority is always, always, always our members. In fact, Linn Area Credit Union has been recognized with a #1 national ranking for how well we serve our members and the impact we have on our community. (How cool is that?)
As our CEO, the successful candidate will direct the overall operations of the Credit Union with the objective of ensuring financial stability and accomplishment of the Board of Directors’ strategic initiatives commensurate with the best interests of the 25,000 members. This includes establishing short-term and long-range objectives, plans, and policies subject to the approval of the Board of Directors and facilitate consistent and ongoing communication with the Board of Directors as to the affairs of the Credit Union. The CEO will also represent the Credit Union within the community in a positive manner while actively supporting and demonstrating the Credit Union’s mission: “To be partners in a successful future with our members and employees by providing caring financial services and community support” on a daily basis.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the CEO includes:
• Provides expertise and makes recommendations for basic objectives, policies, and operating plans of the Credit Union; submitting these to the Board of Directors for approval.
• Ensure adequate strategic planning for future development and growth of the business is achieved. Document strategic plans, periodically present such plans for general review and approval by the Board of Directors.
• Prescribes the specific limitations of the authority of subordinates regarding policies, contractual commitments, expenditures, and personnel actions. Reviews and approves the appointment, employment, transfer or termination of all key employees. Resolves any conflicts arising between operating groups, staff units and other elements under immediate supervision.
• Analyze operating results of the Credit Union relative to established objectives by effectively bench-marking and tracking results to assure the Board of Directors are well informed of the Credit Union’s position. Ensure appropriate steps are taken to mitigate unsatisfactory conditions, if necessary.
• Represent the Credit Union as appropriate within the community throughout relationships with members, sponsor organization(s), major suppliers, competitors, government agencies, other financial institutions, professional societies, and similar groups.
The essential requirements for the CEO role are:
• 10-15 years of similar or related experience.
• A master's degree or bachelor's degree plus professional certification (e.g. CPA).
It is also critical for the candidate to possess and actively demonstrate superior interpersonal skills as the CEO’s work involves extensive personal contact with members of the Board of Directors, community leaders, business leaders, and internal managers requiring excellent communication skills. Building relationships, motivating others, and fostering trust and loyalty are key factors to success for incumbents in this position. The ability to achieve “buy in” from employees is critical. External contacts are vital, not only for the success of the position, but the success of the Credit Union overall. Commitment to and involvement in our community is also an important factor for success.
So, are we a match??? If it sounds like you and "we" would be a good fit, please send your – not your neighbor’s - cover letter and résumé directed to the Succession Planning Committee by clicking here.