Greater Iowa Credit Union is excited to add a Compliance/Internal Audit Officer position to our team.
This position will be responsible for ensuring the policies and procedures of the Credit Union comply with the appropriate laws and regulations. Analyzes new and pending laws, as well as current and new products and services, that could directly affect the Credit Union's current practices. Develop and revise current policies and procedures to ensure compliance. Ensures all affected areas of the Credit Union are kept informed of changing laws and procedures for implementation to be completed at the appropriate time. Conduct audits to assess the effectiveness of controls, accuracy or financial records and efficiency of operations. Provide documentation of internal control systems; report findings and make recommendations.
Location: 1509 Baltimore Drive Ames, Iowa 50010
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm, evenings 3-4 times a year for board meetings.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Perform evaluations of internal control systems by maintenance of permanent files incorporating narrative descriptions, flowcharts, memos, etc.; reports findings and recommendations.
- Develop and implement an internal audit and compliance program to effectively review specific areas of the Credit Union. Perform audits on Credit Union's records and systems. Report findings and recommendations.
- Ensures the Credit Union is in compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws & regulations. Analyzes trends and changes in regulatory compliance laws, rules and regulations, and advises management of the operational impact of such trends and changes. Disseminates information and facilitates implementation of new and regulatory changes as necessary.
- Manages the vendor risk life cycle for all existing and new initiatives to include gathering information; risk assessments; and ongoing monitoring of renewals and expiration's.
- Collaborates with other departments to research new and review current products and services for compliance with regulations.
- Works with the training department and others as appropriate, to develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees and ongoing training for all employees and managers.
- Manage quality control program.
- Prepare and present periodic reports to the management and Board of Directors to determine the Credit Union's potential exposure to existing or pending compliance regulation (e.g. Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC, Truth in Savings, Currency Transaction Reports, Suspicious Activity Reports) and cooperates with appropriate staff in developing an effective response to the compliance requirements.
- Act as custodian for IRA accounts.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: A minimum of four years of audit and compliance experience in a financial institution.
Education: Bachelor's degree.
Interpersonal Skills: A significant level of trust and diplomacy is required, in addition to normal courtesy and tact. Work involves extensive personal contact with others and/or is usually of a personal or sensitive nature. Work may involve motivating or influencing others. Outside contacts become important and fostering sound relationships with other entities (companies and/or individuals) becomes necessary.
1. Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
2. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
3. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
4. Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and communicate an extensive variety of regulatory information and technical procedures relating to the credit union operation.
5.Ability to effectively present and respond to questions from groups of managers, directors, employees, and members as required.
6. Knowledge of how the Credit Union operates and processes member transactions, corporate reports, and compliance formats/issues.
- Greater Iowa is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer (AA/EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.